The Importance of Appearance and First Impressions

Initially I did not realize the role that keeping a clean cut image and conservative look played in trying to become a successful person – or at least impressing other successful people. I came to the conclusion a while back that I would forgot about trying to impress those who served no role in my success or had nothing to contribute to my success. In a world of inner-city poverty where I reside, there is a certain appearance that leads to social success. If I wear $100 J’s, a goatee, and saggy jeans I impress some people. However, that same appearance would hurt me in other arenas. The same J’s, goatee, and saggy pants that would make me the center of social life in the hood, would make me the center of stereotypes and awkward looks in the political and business world.

The Function of Appearance

In my community, more than anything a person’s shoes is one of the most important factors of their appearance. It may sound strange to some, but the first thing some people looks at are your feet. Your shoes are a measure of your worth and wealth. This is why poor kids in poor neighborhoods beg their mother for a new pair of Jordan costing $150 or more. The same applies in the business and political world except for the $150 Jordans are replaced with a snazzy suit coat and nice slacks. People use appearance, especially style of dress, to make initial judgements and determine their first reaction and impression.

The Function of First Impressions

My grandmother use to say, in my early days “Use your manners and make sure you make a good first impression on your teachers”. Later in my life she would say, “Make sure you make a good first impression during that job interview, times are hard”.  I come to understand that first impressions are everything. I always wondered why every person I walked past looked down at my shoes when walking through the halls at school or walking down the hill towards home after the last class was dismissed. It was a way of finding out if it was worth starting a relationship with me, or spending time getting to know me. Anyone who has attended a huge school or lived in a busy city knows that there is no time to get to know everyone and that is where first impressions kick in.

The same applies to the business and political world. People are more likely to give time to a person in a suit before a person in a throwback jersey and blue jeans. People unconsciously give more worth to someone based on how they look and the way they dress. It is a reality of life.

Another Element of First Impressions


As stated before, people don’t have the time to engage everyone, so they use appearance and first impressions as a way to prioritize. However, there is also another element of first impressions.  That is that people continue to associate people with the first impression that they have of them regardless of what reality may reveal later. It is hard for a person to change their image once it is established, especially if that image is bad. If I see a politician cursing out a waiter, it will be hard for me to see that politician as not being self-centered, cruel, and elitist. I could find out later that the politician was having a bad day – maybe a close friend of his or hers died and the grief happened to be unleashed on the waiter. However, it would still be difficult to change my views of that politicians regardless of new information on the circumstances. This is why making a bad first impression is so devastating. We can even look at it in the reverse. If someone makes a good first impression on me, and turns out to be the exact opposite of what I thought they were, I am more likely to think that what I initially saw in them is still somewhere under the surface – their true abilities or talents.

Be Everything for Everyone

The important thing to remember about appearance and first impression is that appropriateness varies based on people and circumstances. The most successful people know how to be everything to everyone. For example, Jay Z is a wealthy rapper and music producers. While he may look like a thug while promoting his rap music, he looks like a businessman when he enters a room full of other wealthy people. He does not wear a throwback to an executive meeting or a political campaign dinner. He knows how to be everything to everyone, and he appropriately transforms his identity when it is crucial to his success.

A lot of people do not know how to be everything to everyone. Even politicians, whose job depends on being responsive to others, have not mastered this concept. For example, I recently saw a group of politicians in full suits at a rally held in the summer heat. I think the crowd would have been more receptive if the group of politicians had come in comfortable cloths and appeared as if they came to take part in a rally (not just to speak and quietly leave). I even saw one “wanna-be” politician in a full suit. You know, the guy who runs for every political office but can’t seem to win and he can’t get on anyone’s speaker list.

What do you think is the significance of appearance and first impressions? How has these two things impacted your life negatively or positively?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

top